Thursday, July 22, 2010

El Dia del Amigo


Tuesday, July 20th was El Dia del Amigo (Friend's Day) in Argentina. Jenny and I unintentionally scheduled our wine and cheese night on that day and it worked out very nicely. After my Saturday of goodbyes I was really looking forward to a night in with a friend. Rosie joined us as well and our night changed from a wine & cheese movie night to a night of wine, cheese, fruit, chocolate and ignoring the movie entirely. We killed two bottles of wine and consumed a lot of cheese, chocolate and fruit. At 2am we said goodnight and made several weekend plans.

This weekend should be pretty awesome. My weekend starts today because I don't teach any classes on Friday morning and my family is out of town til the 2nd so I don't even work Sunday. Tonight I will hopefully be hanging out with Joan. We haven't finalized plans yet but I'm sure we'll get dinner or some drinks.

Jenny and I are once again going to attempt to play squash on Friday, we just keep failing. She lives kind of far out so it can be hard to schedule things just right.

Saturday Jorge is coming over with some random visitors who are in town. We are ordering sushi for lunch. There is this place called Sushi Pop that Jorge says is delicious and cheap. I love sushi and I am pumped about it coming right to my door. Saturday night Jenny, Rosie and I are going to a local band that Jorge knows. After that we might go to a party some of Rosie's friends are having. It should be an eventful night. Jenny and I might try this empanada place that is 2 doors away from my apartment before we go to the show. It looks cheap, I hope it is both cheap and delicious.

Sunday Jenny, Rosie and I are going to the San Telmo market. It is supposed to be huge and amazing, I cannot wait. I will be looking around for gifts for all my favourite people in the States! I definitely already have a Christmas list going and that is no joke. I have all of you in mind every time I'm walking past merchants on the streets.
Now for some more small victories:
  • Got another job! I just got hired yesterday at Profesores Nativos. I plan to quit American Forum at the end of July. PN is way better organized and better paying. Plus, there was this huge issue with taxes from AF, the way it worked out I would have to pay so much is taxes that it wouldn't even be worth the money I earned. PN is in cash, no taxes and she only schedules me with students close to my home or they come straight to my apartment. Awesome.
  • Found another deli that sells turkey. The other day the super market near me failed me and didn't have turkey at all. On the way home from landing my new job, I found a little place and bought some lunch meat for cheap.
  • Had a Lion King viewing via Skype. Cole and I really missed our Disney Sundays we shared in the Media Center. Yesterday, at 10am my time and 10pm his time in Korea we both logged onto Skype, counted down and pushed play at the same time. We watched the whole movie as if we were sittng next to each other like old times. It was awesome.
  • My mom got a Webcam/Mic. It took about 20 minutes of getting skype calls, hanging up, typing, yelling, etc, but we figured it out. My mom didn't really understand the difference between a camera and a microphone. She also typed a message to my skype account saying "I can't call you I don't have your number!". Sigh. Moms. Regardless, she more or less understands and I can contact her for free.
All right, I'm off to a meeting at American Forum. There is a big immersion course being taught by 5 different teachers next week. I plan to go to this meeting and teach my hours, but after that I'm done. I'm going to send my resignation email after the meeting because I don't want to deal with them trying to convince me to stay. I feel kind of bad but I'm not going to work just to give all my money away to taxes.

Here's some more photos of the wine and cheese night!

No comments:

Post a Comment