Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sick of Goodbyes

Sick of Goodbyes-Sparklehorse

Yesterday was such a rough day of goodbyes. Jorge sent me that song and I think it is pretty fitting.

So, the goodbyes actually began Friday night. Will and Issac were in town for a week. I met them through Jorge and we hung out a bunch while they were in town. They are from Texas and they made me not hate all people from Baylor University. We did a lot of drinking, talking and eating during their time here. On Friday we went out to an all you can eat Parrilla (grill) that includes a bottle of wine per person. We had to wait a long time to be seated, which is why we all look sad in this photo. Left to right: Issac, me, Joan (Sho-aan), and Will. Joan is Kadhir's host brother from 2 years ago, he's still here, thankfully.

After stuffing ourselves with food and wine we went out for more drinks. We stayed out til 6am. I shared a cab home with Issac and it was a bummer to have to end our conversation and realize we wouldn't be seeing each other again.



Saturday morning I woke up early (early considering I went to bed at 6am) to catch a train with Jorge to San Isidro to hang out with Amina on her last day. We went to the San Isidro market so Amina could get a trenza (braided thread thing) put in her hair. It was fun to just walk around and hang out. I am so bummed that Amina and I got along so well and now she's leaving. We had to say a rushed goodbye on the train back to her house and it made me even more nervous about saying goodbye to Kadhir.

Kadhir and I went to dinner at this amazing Armenian place. It was delicious. After that we just picked up some Quilmes Red Lager (his favourite) and watched Arrested Development at my place. This is why I will miss Kadhir so much. He's my friend from the US who knows me and enjoys watching Arrested Development for hours straight. His cab to the airport was supposed to come at 4am. He showed up at 3:30 and even though we were both nodding off, I was sad. We hugged and said our quick goodbyes. I watched his cab drive off and felt like this was what my whole life seems to be now, saying goodbye and never knowing when I'll see anyone again. Watching Kadhir leave was kind of like saying goodbye to all my friends in the US all over again.

I woke up on Sunday still feeling a little upset. Luckily, I was off to San Isidro again to meet up with Jenny. I walked outside and it was raining and gloomy. Seriously, Buenos Aires, that's the kind of day you have for me right now? I got to San Isidro late because the trains run slow on Sundays and I couldn't find Jenny. Her phone was dead so I had no idea what to do other than wander around in the rain hoping she had waited. I even called Rosie to get her to check if Jenny was online. Thankfully, Jenny had gone home to charge her phone and call me so eventually, we actually found each other. We went to a cafe and had lunch which also turned into delicious cappuchinos with cookies. It was so awesome to just sit and talk with her, it made me feel so much better about all the goodbyes. We hung out there for hours. I told her how much I missed people just coming over to watch TV or something and she agreed and we made plans to have a wine and cheese night at my place on Tuesday. We're going to watch a movie or something. I am excited.

I'm definitely still bummed about all the goodbyes. It just brought up a lot of the memories of saying goodbye to everyone back home and made me sad to be at the age where everything ends and everyone spreads out all over the world. I still had an excellent time hanging out with Amina, Kadhir, Will and Issac while I could!

5 comments:

  1. I just found this last night and am glad you're blogging about it. First of all, it's really cool and exciting (... and scary!) that you're starting up brand new down there. Secondly, you're in a pretty sweet city/country that I have wanted to visit for a long time but haven't made it yet. Make this a bit of a travel and food blog and take pictures of everywhere you go and everything you eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I am not one to take photos of my food (unless it is ice cream), but I do like keeping photos of ridiculous sights. If you have always wanted to visit, now is the time because I am here and you can sleep on my futon for free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I'm a step ahead of you! I don't really have any time off until Christmas break, but tickets are in the $1300 zone :( I'll have to try a little harder since I only looked on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if you get serious let me know, I know some money saving tricks. Also, I get time off around Christmas I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a solid option but I'll have to let you know as I get closer to Thanksgiving. I'm going to be on surgery rotation and they traditionally have a rough schedule (ie, I'll probably be working on the 24th).

    If you have any tips on cheap airfare flying out on Dec 25th and being back by the 1st, I could use them. As of now it's no lower than $1,500 round trip :(

    ReplyDelete