Sunday, July 4, 2010

Some Bad News and Some Good News

The bad news...
Argentina is officially out of the World Cup.
Yesterday I got up early to get to a bar by 10am. I was decked out in my Argentina jersey and scarf, ready to cheer on my beloved team. I knew the game would not be an easy one to win, but I had no idea the team would completely crumble under pressure. I've been an Argentina fan for years and I have always been proud of them, win or lose, but yesterday was disgraceful. Last World Cup when they lost to Germany at this same level, I cried because Germany didn't deserve it. This time, however, I was just depressed because Germany really did deserve it. I got drunk by 1 and tried to forget about it, but what a sad day.

It's 4th of July
and once again, I am not in the States. I miss fireworks and the smell of BBQ even though I usually can't eat it.I hope everyone blows something up in my honor!

The good news...
I start 2 jobs tomorrow! I have a meeting with American Forum in the morning to get my teaching materials and talk with the coordinator of students. I start teaching on Tuesday. I have 2 students for 2 lessons a week each, so 4 hours total. Not much but it is a start. I also will sign my contract with my Au Pair family and have my first day working with them tomorrow. It's just a 3 month contract so the mom can see if she is okay with the live-out arrangement but I think it'll be okay. I'm still disapointed with the ages of the kids (10,12,15) and the distance (30-45 minutes by bus) but I'm hoping it will work out. Regardless, I'll have some income. I'm still networking and madly searching for online work to fill in the rest of my work week. 29 hours is not enough, I'm used to over 50.


I had a pretty good weekend, other than the devasting lost. I will now be cheering for Uruguay because they are like Argentina's little brother. I'd be cool with Spain winning too though, and that is much more likely. Anyone but Germany, please.

I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D on Friday. It was awesome. I also saw A-Team yesterday and it was way better than I thought, really entertaining. I also went to a proper British tea party yesterday hosted by the head of Au Pair Argentina. I had tea from a fancy cup and ate some biscuits. Weird! I mostly just hung out at the coloring table with this little 6 year old girl who showed up. I let her tell me what to draw and I wish I had taken a photo of the end result. It was an ocean with a purple octopus, orange fish, a crab, a black whale and 3 mermaids. In the ocean was also a pirate ship. Behind the ocean there were mountains, with a plane crashing into them and also an erupting volcano. It was a rainy day, but the sun still peaked out from behind the black clouds. That girl was awesome. She is exactly why I wanted younger kids.


That's all I've got for now. Here's a photo of Rosie, Jenny and I before the terrible loss.

1 comment: